The Members Church of God International in the Philippines rooted from a similar denomination, the Iglesia ng Dios kay Kristo Hesus, Haligi at Suhay ng Katotohanan (Church of God in Christ Jesus, Pillar and Support of the Truth) which was first led by Brother Nicolas Antiporda Perez in Pulilan, Bulacan, Philippines in 1928.
On December 10, 1936, the Church was registered with the Philippine government by Brother Nicolas Antiporda Perez as first church Presiding Minister with a Central Office in Natividad St., Pasay, Rizal (now Pasay City).
MCGI members prefer themselves to be called and identified as plain "Christians".
MCGI is not related to the many Church of God groups that descended from the Barney Creek Meeting House revival of the late 19th century in the United States.
Since the year the church was established, church workers were being sent to the nearby provinces around Manila.
Brother Nicolas Antiporda Perez, lead the church from 1928 until the time of his death in May 1975, the church was then a small group with less than hundred congregations.
The organization is managed by the MCGI Central Administration under the MCGI Workers Ministry.
In 2008, Bible Expositions were conducted in the continent of Oceania bringing forth the first congregation in Papua New Guinea.
In the same year, congregations were established in Ghana, West Africa as a result of a series of Bible studies in Africa.
In 2004, the church changed its name to "Members Church of God International".
On January 7, 2006, the first live Bible exposition in the United States was held in Los Angeles, California.
It is composed of the Overall Servants (Tagalog: Mga Lingkod Pangkalahatan), council of Helpers of the Ministry (Tagalog: Mga Katulong ng Pangangasiwa abbreviated as "KNP") and Church Workers (Tagalog: Mga Manggagawa).